Sunday, July 19, 2009

Scott Wilder Show Canceled

UPDATE: Scott Wilder is back on the air as of Monday, March 8th, 2010. See my post here for more information. I keep seeing a lot of hits to his page from Google, so I wanted to let those of you coming to this page know that Scott and Lauren are finally back on the air!


For those of you in the DFW Metroplex, a staple of Christian talk radio has been canceled. The WORD FM (100.7 - owned by Salem Communications) has canceled the Scott Wilder show. Scott and his producer and coworker for over 20 years (Lauren Lintner) were unceremoniously fired for "budgetary" reasons. However, his show has consistently has been the most popular show on the entire station as well as in the entire DFW market. Please keep Scott and Lauren in your prayers during this time!

Scott is the type of talk radio host that conservative Christians need to have on the air. He is an evangelical conservative biblical Christian, who is also a social and political conservative. In my personal opinion, Scott is the best conservative talk show host in all of radio. I do not say that lightly. But the fact that he actually understands the Biblical Gospel and the need to let Scripture be our guide in social and political views gives him a unique voice that is rare in conservative radio. His shows were fun yet serious when needed. He has come under a lot of fire from callers on the left on his show since the election for his stands against the agenda of the President. Scott's replacement is the wife of a senior executive of Salem Communications. How interesting.


Talk radio is loved by corporations because it is cheap to produce and gives a great return on advertising dollars. How can a corporation realistically expect it's listeners to believe that this was truly for budgetary concerns? There is no way that this show was not making the corporation money. I do not know this years Arbitron's ratings, but the show was listed as 5th in the market in 2008 (according to Salem's own 2008 Resource Guide). That is a very high number for afternoon drive time for the DFW secular market when he is even competing with Sean Hannity (whom I also like).

Twitter and Facebook are on fire with listeners who are upset. I hope it makes a difference. I have already emailed the VP and have gotten two responses from him. I will post my email with all the replies at the bottom of this post. I will not listen to the three Salem stations here in the metroplex. I will be contacting KWRD's advertisers and ministries that buy time on the air letting them know that they need not buy air time, as there has been a mass exodus of listeners from the station.

One listener has posted all the advertisers and their contact information. I have posted on another blog and on a facebook entry that we also need to contact the ministries that buy air time on this station. I wrote:

Contact the ministries that buy air time too!!! In addition to protesting this to the Management of Salem and the advertisers that Michael Sissom graciously posted for us, we also need to let the ministries know that we will not be able to enjoy their programming because we are not listening to the station anymore. If each ministry received thousands of emails, letters and calls, they would quickly be concerned about spending their ministry dollars on a station that had a mass exodus of listeners. Each program buys time to be on the air. This is air time that the station does not have to pay for content to produce nor do they have to try and sell advertising. It is free money to the station.

We can effect change if we unite in our boycott of KWRD, KLTY and KSKY and if we contact management, advertisers and ministries that buy air time.


Forgive the formatting, but I am running late to a meeting at church. Here is the entire email and replies that I sent to management and received back:


Mr. Peroyea,

Based on Twitter, Facebook, and blogs and comments, I realize you have probably received numerous emails about this, and I thank you for responding to mine twice now. I apologize for the length, but I am responding to issues you raised.

You are right, I am angry as are a great many former WORD listeners based on hundreds of comments. Several have also said that they too will not listen to the WORD or KLTY anymore because of this action. Our anger is justified, as a corporation has decided to remove one of the most popular shows in Christian Radio.

In my opinion, the Scott Wilder Show is the best conservative talk show in all radio. That includes Rush, Hannity, Mark Davis, and many others. Unlike some conservatives, he consistently held to Biblical positions on the show and his character and principles are unequaled. Frankly, there is no one as good as Scott Wilder in any radio market that I have had the privilege to listen to. I have never understood why Salem has not taken his show nationally in the Christian radio market.

Salem Communications apparently does not appreciate nor desire listener loyalty. If they did, Scott and Lauren would still be on the air. According to Salem's own Resource Guide (which I just looked up for my blog article on this), the Scott Wilder Show was 5th in it's time slot here in the Metroplex. That is amazing for a Christian talk show during the afternoon drive time slot in a very secular market! I find it unbelievable that this was truly a budgetary reason. Talk radio is very popular. Both with listeners and the corporations that air them. They are cheap to produce and have a very high return from advertising dollars. This makes no sense from a financial standpoint.

I and the hundreds of others that are talking this weekend, do not want to destroy any radio station. We want Scott and Lauren back on the air. It is as simple as that.The only voice we have in effecting that decision is to go to the advertisers. As a corporation, Salem will listen to it's advertisers, especially if they start pulling their ads.

You castigate me for my loyalty to Scott and Lauren and state that my actions "will do nothing to grow God's Kingdom, but actually attack it." How does removing Scott and Lauren from the airways grow God's Kingdom? It doesn't. Salem has removed a voice that was a consistent witness for Christ. Scott has raised millions for causes for the Kingdom of Christ and he no longer has the ability to bring his listeners along in support of several Kingdom ministries.

Thank you for your prayers. I too am praying for you and for Salem to right a monumental mistake. I hold no animosity towards you or Salem, but I will join with the hundreds of others, who in the last day have decided to fight this with the only weapons we have available: our pocket book and listening choice. We will be recruiting fellow listeners, our church members, and co-workers and friends to bring Scott and Lauren back.

Finally, it is very Biblical to be loyal to friends and partners in ministry. It is also a Biblical axiom that one reaps what one sows. Salem has brought this upon itself. Though I have never met either, I feel like both are a part of my family - more than any other personality on the air. Paul and Barnabas had a great argument and fight regarding John Mark and decided to to their separate ways. It is well within Salem's ability to stop the mass listener exodus by bringing Scott and Lauren back. Otherwise we will have to agree to disagree on this and a great many of your listeners and advertisers will part ways with Salem.

Respectfully yours,

Ron Phillips
Fort Worth, TX

John Peroyea wrote:
Dear Ron,

If your decision is to tune out to the other wonderful ministry
programs we offer tens of thousands of listeners each day, it is your decision. If you choose to not support companies that advertise and support one of two remaining Christian Talk and Teach stations in DFW,
it is again your choice. I point out to you that not everyone that listens to our station or even other Christian stations may share your particular listening choices or preferences. You choosing to not listen to the great ministry programs on KWRD that have brought tens of
thousands of people to the Lord from your own words appear to be the result of your own personal anger, and these decisions you have expressed really do nothing to grow God's kingdom, but actually attack it.

Our company is doing what we must do under these trying economic times to further the Kingdom. If you feel that boycotting advertisers or your attempts to destroy a Christian radio station will help you, again that is your choice. I see nothing in my Bible where it says anything like that.

I will indeed pray for you Ron.
John

John L. Peroyea
Vice President of Operations
Salem Communications Corporation

94.9 KLTY, 100.7 KWRD, 660AM - 92.9 FM - 95.5 FM KSKY
Dallas/Ft.Worth Vice President - General Manager


6400 Beltline Road Suite 120
Irving, Texas 75063
Direct Phone line: 214.561.2142
Direct fax line: 214.561.2143

Listen online at: www.klty.com
www.thewordfm.com
www.ksky.com

This electronic mail message contains information which is (a) LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee's) names herein. If you are not the Addressee's), or the person responsible for delivering this to the Addressee's), you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact us immediately at (972) 870-9949 x152 and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely from your computer system. Thank you.

Dear Ronald,

Thank you for your comments. I am sad as well about losing Scott & Lauren, and know that they will both be fine wherever God places them next. Unfortunately we are not allowed to discuss personnel related matters outside our own company; I am sure you understand that.

Most radio companies today have been faced with financial challenges like never in the history of radio broadcasting. Some of the largest companies have laid off as many as 7,000+ employees, and with some recent announcements, more are certain to follow. One of the three Christian Talk and Teach stations right here in DFW is now going out of business, selling to a company that is going to program rock music on
it. Two separate national radio companies yesterday were taken over by their lenders. We also are doing changes that we do not like doing, but we will survive. I would appreciate you listening to Christian Talk with Janet Mefferd who is currently on afternoons on 100.7 KWRD. I believe you will find her program to be very relevant and interesting. As with any change of personality in a timeslot, there will be differences. Every air talent has their own styles. I am sensitive to your concerns,
and simply ask you to consider giving this new host a fair chance to gain your listening. The feedback on her first show yesterday was plentiful and extremely positive.

We have already cut the KWRD "infomercial" Consumer Magazine in half, and soon, it will be moved to night time. Over the last 6 months KWRD's infomertial content has reduced from 27+% to less than 6% in total. Our mission is to reduce it to zero.

Soon, we will be adding some additional, very well known and highly respected Ministry programs at various times. A few programs will move slightly, however the Christian teaching lineup will be the strongest in KWRD's history. We are committed to making 100.7 KWRD a pure, relevant Christian Talk and Teach station, and are making progress in doing so rather quickly.

If you wish to speak with me directly, my personal direct number is listed below, and I would be happy to talk with you anytime.

Blessings,

John

John L. Peroyea
Vice President of Operations
Salem Communications Corporation

94.9 KLTY, 100.7 KWRD, 660AM - 92.9 FM - 95.5 FM KSKY
Dallas/Ft.Worth
Vice President - General Manager


6400 Beltline Road Suite 120
Irving, Texas 75063
Direct Phone line: 214.561.2142
Direct fax line: 214.561.2143

Listen online at: www.klty.com
www.thewordfm.com
www.ksky.com

This electronic mail message contains information which is (a) LEGALLY PRIVILEGED, PROPRIETARY IN NATURE, OR OTHERWISE PROTECTED BY LAW FROM DISCLOSURE, and (b) intended only for the use of the Addressee's) names herein. If you are not the Addressee's), or the person responsible for delivering this to the Addressee's), you are hereby notified that reading, copying, or distributing this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact us immediately at (972) 870-9949 x152 and take the steps necessary to
delete the message completely from your computer system.

Thank you.


-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald J. Phillips, Sr.
Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:19 PM
To: John.Peroyea@KLTY.com; ddarling@ksky.com
Subject: Scott Wilder Show

Dear Mr. Peroyea,

I have been a WORD listener since it came on the air here in the Metroplex. I am very upset that Scott Wilder and Lauren Lintner have been fired and the Scott Wilder Show canceled. This show is the main reason that I listen to 100.7. Though I enjoy some of the other
programming (Dr. Jack Graham, Alistair Begg, Adrian Rogers and others), Scott's show was the principal basis for my listening to this station.

I and my family will no longer listen to this station, KLTY, nor KSKY in protest of this decision. Instead, for Christian music and preaching, I will listen solely to KCBI henceforth. For conservative talk, I will listen to WBAP. I will no longer support any advertisers of the WORD FM either. I plan to join with others who are preparing to begin a writing
campaign to the WORD advertisers.

When I got in my car Friday and heard Janet Mefferd, I thought Scott and Lauren were just out for the day. I was not at all impressed with her and did not even listen to a full segment before the next commercial came on. I was actually going to write the show an email next week stating that I did not like her as a fill in host.

I believe that this decision will result in a great many listeners to abandon this station and her advertisers. Twitter and Facebook are just now starting to become ablaze with irate listeners who are upset with this decision.

Sincerely,

Ron Phillips
Fort Worth, TX

NOTE: This post has been changed to try and clean up some text and html above the posted emails. No content has been changed.

Blessings,

Ron P.

12 comments:

Robin Foster said...

Ron

The arrogance is unbelievable. I remember Scott's show from when I was in seminary and he always forced me to think about my faith in light of current issues. I am sorry to hear they will be gone.

Robin

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Found your blog through a Google search about the canceling of the Scott Wilder show. Thanks for sharing the correspondence with Peroyea. It was similar to what I received, and it has solidified in my mind that Salem's mistake was in firing Scott and Lauren and not John Peroyea.

Ron Phillips, Sr. said...

Robin,

I agree. It should have been management that was fired.

Ron P.

Ron Phillips, Sr. said...

Jenn,

Thank you for stopping by. For more up to date information, you can follow Scott's blog and Twitter: wildershow.com and wildershow respectively.

I absolutely agree with you.

By the way, two advertisers replied to my email. One canceled their ads on KWRD!!!! The other said that he had already canceled before this happened.

Blessings,

Ron P.

Anonymous said...

Ron,
Thank you for taking the time to express what so many of us feel. Scott and Lauren were the peace at the end of my work day. My faith has been strengthened and affirmed by The Scott Wilder show for many years and I will always be grateful for having an opportunity to listen to them both. My prayer is that another station will realize that they have an audience waiting to follow Scott and the show. Keep working hard to get Scott and Lauren back on the airwaives of the metroplex.

Ron Phillips, Sr. said...

Anonymous,

Thank you. I too miss the show! It will take effort on behalf of all the listeners. Salem management is counting on listeners letting this go by the wayside and move on.

When I listen to Dr. Graham on KCBI in the mornings at 8:30, I get a brief Scott Wilder fix as he introduces the program.

If I were an advertiser, I would be demanding money back and a very significant price cut for future ads. Since they have lost thousands of listeners, advertisers are reaching far fewer people.

Blessings,

Ron P.

Anonymous said...

Ron,
I agree with you completely. Scott was the only reason I listened to The Word. I changed my car radio preset.
Thanks,
J. Locke

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin (whitesettlement,tx) said...

Finally Scott is off the air. I worked very hard trying to get him off. Alot of Scott’s morals and ideals where not based off Christian beliefs but based on his twisted opinion. The way he treat his callers weren’t in a Christian manner either. I called Scott several times on air to remind him to be respectful. He would agree but by the next caller he would be right back to being rude. All and All Scott didn't have the right personality for Christian radio. He turns alot of people off and made them to believe this is a reflection to all Christians. Scott is more of a Shock Jock like Rush Limbaugh. He should find a show and station that reflects that. This comment is not meant to upset or disrespect Jack Graham or Scott’s fans. It is only a different view from the side that Scott disrespected and hurt during the years. Thanks and God Bless.

Ron Phillips, Sr. said...

Kevin,

Thanks for stopping by. However, I could not disagree with you more. Since the election cycle, the number of hard core combative callers had exponentially increased. I dare say not many could or would handle the insidious comments in a manner as well as Scott tried to.

Scott was not a shock jock. He stood firm on principle and would not compromise. That is a quality and character trait that should be lauded and held in high esteem. By the number of comments on his blog and facebook, you are in the vast minority.

Just curious what you think about the kindness of the following statement:

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness." Matthew 23:27

Not too kind was it? Kind of confrontational and in your face isn't it?

Blessings,

Ron P.

ChildsPlay said...

I am surprised that Scott and Lauren haven't found a new radio home yet.

Anonymous said...

I was so glad when traveling thru Florida 's panhandle I couldn t believe my ears,but there he was my old friend Scott doing as well as ever,just knowing that he is back on the air was just a blessing to know that he is doing good,I was in Tallahasse 94.1 FM and it made my whole day,I haven t been to Dallas so I don t know if he is back on that market,but this man,if I was the head honcho of Salem or Fox radio,I d make him the flagship of my company,he is that good,I d put him next to Rush,not second,equal to Rush... Yes my friends Scott is that good, and I am not easyly impressed.
Giovani Socci.