Saturday, June 8, 2013

SBC 2013 VP Nominations

I know I have been absent from here and from many other blogs. I still read many SBC blogs daily, but do not find the time to be able to engage in conversation. I detest the "drive by" commenting so if I do not have time to engage, I don't. But I miss it a lot!

With that being said, I am excited for two nominees for 1st and 2nd VP for the 2013 SBC! The Southern Baptist Texan is reporting here that Bart Barber is being nominated by Steve Gaines of Bellevue Baptist in Memphis as 1st VP. I've met Bart a couple of times in person but feel like I have known him my entire life. Southern Baptists will not be disappointed if Bart is elected 1st VP. He is one of the kindest and smartest people that you will ever meet. He was personally very encouraging to me when we were in the process of adopting our youngest son. Most in the SBC blog community know Bart very well. So I will move on to 2nd VP.

My pastor, Bob Pearle of Birchman Baptist in Fort Worth, will be nominating Don Cass for 2nd VP. You can see the Texan article here. Don is a godly man who has a great heart for evangelism and the vast experience in working together with others to reach the lost with the Gospel. It is a privilege to know Don and have him as a member of our church. He is unequivocally the best choice for this office to unite Southern Baptists in the proclamation of Gospel.  

Like many others, I am increasingly concerned about the SBC's decline in baptisms, which reflects a decline in evangelism. We as Southern Baptists need to be concerned about evangelism personally and corporately in out churches, associations, and state conventions and our SBC institutions as a whole. We need to love those in the world who are without Christ just like our Savior does. Lack of evangelism is a lack of love for the world and disobedience to our Lord. We need men like Don Cass who have a heart for the lost and experience in personal and corporate evangelism.

Frank Page appointed the Calvinism Advisory Committee and published the report TRUTH, TRUST, and TESTIMONY in a TIME of TENSION that clearly states the road ahead for Cooperating Southern Baptists is for us that have differing theological convictions set those aside for the sake of the lost. SBC Today has a great take on this report found here. We must agree to disagree on Calvinism but work together in evangelism and missions no matter where we hang our hat theologically on sotierology. So what does this have to do with 2nd VP you might be asking. If you are actively involved in SBC blogdem, you already know. I want to be kind and charitable, just as the above report asks us to be. Don Cass is such a person and the only candidate for 2nd VP of whom that can be said!

I pray that Southern Baptist Messengers choose someone for 2nd VP who embodies the character of an evangelist for the Gospel. I further pray that they select one with the integrity and heart of one who truly is a believer and practitioner of unifying love and respect for his fellow Southern Baptists. There could not be a more stark contrast in candidates for 2nd VP this year and only one who truly embodies that which the Calvinism Advisory Committee is calling on all Southern Baptists to embrace: Unity and Respect. We should expect all leaders in the Southern Baptist Convention and all entities serving our denomination to affirm, to respect, and to represent all Southern Baptists of good faith and to serve the great unity of our Convention.

That person is Don Cass.

No comments: